<  Roller Derby Chat  ~  Any tips on breaking in skates?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:38 am
User avatarPosts: 717Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:21 pm
just switched from old school high tops to new derby skates! does anyone out there have any tips for keeping the skin on my ankles? or the best stuff i can get for cushioning the places where skin used to be..? i'd really appreciate it. (like, really.)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:22 am
The ankles should breakin in a bit if you have leather boots.
You can get ankle booties from roller girl for your ankles. they are neoprene. I use them to make my skates snug on my heels.
http://www.rollergirl.ca/cadcart/ezeefi ... p-207.html

for blister areas Moleskin (by the role not the thick stuff) is still the best i have found for preventing / helping.

Blister Band-Aids underneath the moleskin help if too. but rub off if not covered.

Hope this helps.
RYDER.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:57 am
Posts: 11Location: Vancouver- Commercial DriveJoined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 am
You can also massage the stiff upper part of your skates while you watch tv- gently bend it back and forth to help soften it up.

Moleskin works really well to create a barrier between your ankle and the boot while you break them in. You can usually find it at Shopper Drug Mart. Buy the big pack, and cut it with scissors (it doesn't rip) into smaller strips. Adhere it directly to your ankle/foot where the rubbing occurs. if your skin is raw already, put a bandaid on first, and then apply the mole skin overtop, otherwise pulling it off is not going to feel great.

Good luck!

xox
Jenny

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:26 am
User avatarPosts: 2238Location: Vancouver, BCJoined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:41 pm
High tech hiking socks (ask at MEC) work great for preventing blisters. They wick away sweat so your skin doesn't get all moist and blister up from the friction.

I used to clomp around the house in my skates to break them in. It makes house work much more sexy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:44 am
User avatarPosts: 261Location: Sun Peaks, BCJoined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:11 am
Yes.. the booties that rollergirl sells are AWESOME.. Great later for when you're skates are broken.. loved.. and loosy..
You can also get a leather softener at any shoe repair place, but use it sparingly because they WILL eventually break in.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:43 pm
Posts: 293Location: east vanJoined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:20 pm
I think Foxy swears by panty liners!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:42 pm
User avatarPosts: 635Location: East VancouverJoined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:38 pm
I took a heat gun to my skates when they were new. Leather skates only and wear 2 pairs of socks!
Shifty also once mentioned wearing a nylon sock outside your regular socks. The skates will rub against the nylon & not your foot.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:39 pm
Inside your socks! I don't know how it would work if you used a nylon outside your socks...old hiking trick...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:07 pm
User avatarPosts: 717Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:21 pm
Thank you all so much! The skates are vinyl, so i'm just gonna have to wait, I think. The nylon-under-the-socks trick worked wonders for keeping the blister bandages and outer bandages in place. The neoprene sleeves are my next Rollergirl purchase for sure.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:13 am
User avatarPosts: 1228Location: VancouverJoined: Tue May 02, 2006 9:35 am
Maxi pads and duct tape. Seriously. I swear I have the most sensitve feet in derby; they hated skates for the first 4 years!!

I taped maxi pads to my ankles where the skates "bit" me until I finally broke them in.

Sounds dumb, but when your feet hurt that much, you'll try anything!! LOL!

The neoprene booties for sure, but it only helped me after it stopped hurting so much ;)

xo fox

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:17 am
Hmmm.. interesting suggestions from the veterans. lol. Mine is going to seem bland and predictable now. But "smart wool" socks worked for me. I used to get blisters everytime I skated- every time. I bought some smart wool socks (that I think were specifiacally for running or something), and they worked like a charm. They're ankle socks that are higher than your skates (but don't come up too high). I got them from Atmosphere on burrard and 1st (ish), but I bet MEC etc. carries them too.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:36 pm
User avatarPosts: 414Location: ChilliwackJoined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:14 pm
I swear by the Running Room's anti-blister socks. They're a double-layered sock so that the sock rubs against the sock instead of rubbing against your foot.

Foxy FUBAR wrote:
Maxi pads and duct tape. Seriously. I swear I have the most sensitve feet in derby; they hated skates for the first 4 years!!

Yup. I heard from Percy that this works incredibly well.

#12Mt
Faster Pussycats
Photographer Liaison
Media Committee Director
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:16 pm
User avatarPosts: 19Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:51 pm
I just took my skates to Quick Cobbler and had them stretch the front part where my toes get jammed (wide feet + narrow skates equals not a happy skater). $20 and you can bring them back for more free stretching if necessary.

Refling Neal

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:54 am
User avatarPosts: 1820Location: Coquitlam BCJoined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:48 pm
Wear them a lot at home! Do the dishes, dust etc.... every little bit helps!

8 Mean Wheeler
TCRG All Stars
Skills and Dev
Offline Profile